This full-time MA in ELT has been designed specifically with the aim of providing advanced teacher education for those wishing to become teachers of English as a Foreign / Second language. The program allows teachers to develop and reflect upon their understanding of the various theoretical and practical issues that impact upon the field of language teaching. It places particular emphasis on the notion of informed and critical teaching and the need for teachers to mediate between theory and practice in constructing pedagogies according to specific teaching-learning contexts. The courses offered in the syllabus have been selected in accordance to the needs of the teachers of English in local as well as global context.
The proposed program aims to achieve following objectives:
1. To enable students to achieve the best professional training in the field of English Language Teaching.
2. To enable students to acquire the knowledge, range of capabilities, experiences and qualities which are required for the teaching profession.
3. To afford the opportunity to develop skills in areas of pedagogic practice relevant in contemporary educational systems internationally, for example, new technologies and materials development.
4. To provide students with the necessary skills to carry out research in the area of ELT.
Scheme of Studies:
The students will study 24 courses, 06 courses in each semester over a period of 2 years. Each course is of 3 credit hours. Total 72 CH: 66 CH in taught courses and 6 CH in thesis. The summary of the scheme of studies is as under.
1. General linguistics
2. History of English Language and literature
3. Phonetics and phonology
4. Language Teaching: Approaches, Methods & Techniques
5. Language Learning Theories
1. Teaching Language Skills
2. Teaching of Vocabulary and Grammar
3. Language Teacher Development
4. Psycholinguistics / Sociolinguistics
5. Computer Assisted Language Teaching(CALT)
1. Teaching English for Specific Purposes
2. Error Analysis
3. Syntactic theory
4. Semantics / Pragmatics
5. Research Methodology in ELT
1. Syllabus Designing
2. Discourse Analysis
3. Teaching of Literature
4. Principles of Testing and Evaluation
1. BA with 2nd class (overall + in the relevant subject)
2. Applicants with BSc degree (100-mark English subject) will not be entertained.
Nature of Program:
This program is flexible, modular and supported by learning packages, with classes to be held in evenings and/or weekends to suit full-time workers. The program can be taken in combined mode, full-time or part-time study in different semesters.
Mode of Teaching:
We propose to take up varying modes of instruction in the course of program like instructor-led lectures, class-room presentations by students, tutorials, practical exercises at individual or team level and others.
Mode of Evaluation:
Based on the subject matter of the courses taught, students’ academic performance will be evaluated on the basis of written examinations (mid and final term), book reviews, written assignments (term papers), demonstrations and presentations, etc.